Born in Carson City Michigan and raised in Stanton Michigan, John started drawing as soon as he could hold a crayon. In 1982 John joined the United States Marine Corps where he found himself stationed in Hawaii and traveling across the Pacific to several ports of call. After leaving the Marine Corps John moved back to Michigan and moonlighted as an illustrator for a few years until opening his own graphics studio in 1996.
A chance meeting with Rock legend Ted Nugent back then would change the course of his life and where his art would take him. After over a decade of John’s art being a part of the Nugent brand, Ted decided to use one of John’s illustrations on a backdrop for a tour. This opened doors with the rest of the music industry once Sew What Inc. learned of his creativity and ability to create technically sound digital files.
This relationship has paved the way for his designs to adorn the stages of bands like Lizzo, Eminem, Alice Cooper, KISS, Rod Stewart, Little Big Town, Eric Church, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, Kid Rock, Thomas Rhett, Sugarland, Hollywood Vampires, Korn, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Billy Idol, Blink 182 and many, many more.
Other noted works by John:
- Nickelodeon's Double Dare Live Tour (2018-2019) - Set graphics
- Nickelodeon's Jojo Siwa Tour (2019) - Set graphics
- Launched his own line of truck rear window graphics for the automotive after market
- Character designer for the award winning Monster Maker Card Game™.
- Designed graphics for Mike Wallace, 2002 Daytona 500 NASCAR car
- Illustation and layout for Mattel’s™ My Scene Barbie , Miami adventure comic book.
- Storyboard artist and caricatures for the set featured in the movie “Kill the Irishman.”
- Craft segment art of Martha Stewart Show™- Crafty Buffet Oven™ Illustrations.
- Illustration for Calendar Cover (2005) and other merchandise Orange County Choppers™
- Official Original Six Jersey limited signed fine art print- • NHL
- Entertained The Rolling Stones.
Private party before the 2015 Zip Code tour doing caricatures
- Entertained The Detroit Lions.
Private party before thrown by Coach Matt Patricia doing caricatures
- Congressional Safety show in Washington D.C. -
Art Director for the Automotive Safety Council
- Creative Director for the launch of Mossy Oak Graphics